Tips fromMark W. Persons Defective 120 VAC Plug
Here is a photo of a 120 VAC plug that was providing power to three
equipment racks in the engineering area of a radio station. The
cable-to-plug wiring developed higher than normal resistance resulting in
overheating. The insulation on one conductor turned brown from the
heating. As you can see, the plastic on the plug suffered as well.
The problem was caught on a routine inspection when it was noticed that the
plug was running hot. This plug would have gone into total failure
after not too much longer. The wall outlet didn't look very good
The stories go on and on.
Stop in again sometime. I'll leave the soldering iron on for you.
Mark W. Personsham